October 24, 2011

I'm Thinking ... Non-Traditional

I love Fall. There’s nothing quite like taking a drive amidst a colorful mountain-filled backdrop of red, yellow, orange and purple. The window would be cranked down, just enough for the cool, crisp air to stir up memories of Fall seasons long past. Then there is football. Bon fires. Pumpkins. Scarecrows. Corn Mazes. Geese honking overhead as they make their way southbound. Thanksgiving. Family. Friends. … and more.

But this year, I’ve decided to not let the scents, the sounds, the sights or the feel of the season to keep me looking at what was behind but to stir up awareness about what is happening around me right now and curiosity about what lies ahead.

Especially with the holidays fast approaching, I want to be prepared to embrace the memories in the making and not be bound to just the memories of the past. Oh yes, I will always cherish childhood memories and memories of raising my own children. The memories will be part of me forever. But I don’t want to miss out on making more memories as we all move forward together.

This year I want to challenge tradition built on memories of the past and add spice to it and spontaneity. Who says tradition needs to be repetitious and based on what has always been? Tradition could mean approaching a holiday from a fresh new perspective right now, with a new angle every time, yet keeping the meaning of the holiday intact. Tradition does not make the holiday. Tradition observes the holiday settling into its respected seat.

Thanksgiving will be my first traditional non-traditional holiday. I haven’t yet decided what I’ll be doing to spark it up for me and for my family as we celebrate the holiday for what it really means to us, but stay tuned. I will let you know what happens!

Blessings on you dear one, and glory to God!

Bonny.

No comments:

Post a Comment